Congrats to Sade Solomon for being our wonderful feature today! I had the pleasure of attending undergraduate school at Penn State University with Sade. Her story was quite inspiring and it is amazing to see how God’s plans for her life has blossom over the years. Check out her interview below and learn more about her PASSION for FASHION.
Prior to being a fashion designer, what kind of profession were you in and how did you transition into fashion design?Prior to being a fashion designer I worked for a New York City foster care agency as a caseworker. Subsequent to leaving my position as a foster care caseworker, I began seeking other positions in the social work field. After three long months of unemployment and exhausted resources, I decided to pick up an old hobby of mine; sewing. From sewing I began blogging, from blogging I started interning and the rest became history.
2. What made you pursue a degree at FIT?Why FIT? Fashion Institute of Technology was the only well-renowned school that I was familiar with in the NYC-area. I researched and learned that some of the greatest designers are FIT Alumni including: Ralph Rucci, Calvin Klein, and Stephen Burrows.
3. What are some of the accomplishments you received while pursuing a degree in Fashion Design?Some of the accomplishments that I achieved, while studying at FIT, were: being recognized as the “Achiever of the Year” by United Colors of Fashion (UCOF), traveling to South Africa to study with some of Johannesburg’s top designers, and showcasing a number of pieces at Rockefeller Center during NYC Fashion Week. My greatest accomplishment, thus far, as an emerging designer; was showcasing my first collection on October 9th, 2013 at the historic Lexington Ave Armory.
4. What are some of the current projects you are working on? I am currently working to create a foundation and strong platform for my brand: Sade Solomon while also creating a number of hats for the product line, Haute Crowns. In the near future I plan to start a business with a colleague that will mesh together: Fashion, Faith, and Women’s Empowerment.
5. Any tips you can give to those interested in Fashion? For anyone interested in Fashion I would give the following advice:
1. Ensure you have a strong desire and passion for Design/Fashion. Designing is not an easy task, however if you are passionate about it; it is extremely enjoyable and rewarding.
2. Be open to take on any position that will expand your knowledge about the industry, foster your creativity, and build your skill set.
3. Always be willing to work with a smile no matter what the task is.
7. What’s your favorite scripture?
There are so many scriptures in the bible that I love which makes it almost impossible to select a favorite. However, there is one scripture that is very dear to my heart; Deuteronomy 28. When I first made a decision to give my life to Christ, my grandmother; who is deceased, appeared in a dream and dropped this scripture in my spirit. This scripture became my confirmation that salvation would be the best decision I’d ever make.
The Lord shall open unto thee his good treasure, the heaven to give the rain unto thy land in his season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shalt lend unto many nations, and thou shalt not borrow. (Deuteronomy 28:12)
FAR MORE PRECIOUS would like to thank Sade for her passion for fashion, her faith in God and her community. If you would like to contact Sade, you can reach her via various social media sites and also check out her website and press releases. Website: SadeSolomon.com IG: Its_Sade Facebook Like Page: facebook.com/ItsSadeSolomon email: email@example.com
Website: hautecrowns.com IG: HauteCrowns Facebook Like Page: facebook.com/hautecrowns email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Links http://www.unitedcolorsoffashion.org/achiever-of-the-year-sade-solomon/